Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Olay Regenerist Makeup Wipes: A review

I've been using the Olay Regenerist Micro-exfoliating Wet Cleansing Cloths ($5.99 at Target) for almost 20 days now and thought I'd share. First, I have to say that the Olay Regenerist line is a great drugstore line. If you haven't tried the Olay Regenerist Thermal Mini-Peel, drop what you are doing and run out and get it now! It's the most amazing scrub because it heats up as you exfoliate, the smell is lovely, and it leaves my skin feeling sparkly clean and bright. But onto the wipes now. I wish I could rave about them to no end, but it has its cons. 
The first thing that irks me a bit is that Olay hasn't created a box for these wipes, like Neutrogena has. So this sits sideways in my bathroom cabinet and takes up a lot of space. Also, after flipping open the little sticker-lid for many days, mine came off, and now its just kind of stuck on. Lame packaging Olay!

On the plus side, this has a refreshing, clean scent. Also, it does take off all of my face makeup, and leaves my skin feeling clean. I had just tried the Neutrogena wipes before these, and let me tell ya, those wipes leave me with this icky filmy feeling on my face. These don't! So conceivably, I could just go to sleep after wiping away the makeup with these. But I never ever recommend doing that.

Now on to the cons. First off, this is supposed to be an "exfoliating" wipe. All that means is that the wipe is scratchy as heck. Neutrogena wipes were super soft, and these are super NOT.

Second, the package says that this wipe removes all makeup, even waterproof mascara. NOT true, guys. Sure, it takes off a little bit of eye makeup, but not all of it. As you can see below, the used cloth shows a bunch of foundation and a bit of eyeshadow, liner and mascara on the left side:
However, look at how much more eye makeup has come off with a regular eye makeup remover after I had used the wipe:

I think I just don't feel clean enough with makeup wipes. I'm probably going to go for a cleansing oil next because it just seems to be more effective and thorough. Makeup wipes are simple and quick, but I don't think they are thorough enough. As someone who is prone to acne, I'd rather spend a few extra minutes ensuring that I have a clean face than going to bed a little earlier. 



blog comments powered by Disqus